Wednesday, February 18, 2026
7.8 C
Srinagar

Trump appoints new Pentagon Chief after Shanahan resigns

Washington, :  Army Secretary Mark Esper has been nominated to take over the Pentagon after acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan withdrew from the nomination process and resigned, US President Donald Trump said.
Trump on Tuesday tweeted that Patrick Shanahan has pulled out of consideration so that he can devote more time to his family, reported BBC.
‘Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan, who has done a wonderful job, has decided not to go forward with his confirmation process so that he can devote more time to his family’, Trump wrote on Twitter.
‘I thank Pat for his outstanding service and will be naming Secretary of the Army, Mark Esper, to be the new Acting Secretary of Defense. I know Mark, and have no doubt he will do a fantastic job!’, his tweet added.
Mr Trump told reporters that Mr Shanahan submitted his withdrawal on Tuesday morning.
Earlier, Shanahan withdrew his nomination following published reports on a 2010 domestic violence incident involving him and his former wife.
In a statement announcing his resignation, Mr Shanahan called it unfortunate that a painful and deeply personal family situation from long ago is being dredged up and painted in an incomplete and therefore misleading way.
He said he did not want his three children “to relive a traumatic chapter in our family’s life and reopen wounds we have worked years to heal”.
Shanahan also said that besides withdrawing his nomination, he is resigning from his position as Deputy Secretary of Defense.
Before joining the Trump White House, Mr Shanahan had worked as an executive at Boeing, the US aerospace company which holds many US defence department contracts.
He took over six months ago after the resignation of former Defence Secretary James Mattis.
The announcement came amid renewed tensions between the US and Iran after Washington accused the Islamic republic of attacks last week on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
Mr Shanahan on Monday announced the deployment of 1,000 US troops to the Middle East to counter “hostile behaviour” by Iranian forces.
He added that the US does not seek conflict with Iran and the action had been taken to ensure the safety and welfare of military personnel working throughout the region to protect national interests.
UNI.

 

Hot this week

Leopard Attack Leaves 20 Sheep Dead in Central Kashmir’s Beerwah Village

Budgam: At least 20 sheep were killed in a...

Statehood restoration key to people’s satisfaction in J&K: CM Omar Abdullah

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said that...

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Srinagar:Union Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice,...

Justice delayed is justice denied: tele-law can ease pressure on courts, ensure timely justice:CM Omar

Srinagar, Feb 17: Underscoring the critical role of Tele-Law...

Over 15,000 human-wildlife conflict cases in 2 years, no major spike: J&K Govt

Jammu, Feb 17: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on...

Topics

Statehood restoration key to people’s satisfaction in J&K: CM Omar Abdullah

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said that...

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Srinagar:Union Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice,...

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img