Thursday, February 19, 2026
12.2 C
Srinagar

Sri Lanka: ‘All suspects in blasts killed or arrested’

Colombo,  :  Sri Lanka’s security authorities have either killed or arrested all those responsible for the Easter suicide bombings that left 257 people dead, according to the police chief.
Chandana Wickramaratne said in an audio statement on Tuesday that police had accounted for every individual involved in the April 21 attacks on three churches and three luxury hotels.
“All those who organised and carried out the suicide bomb attack have died or [are] in our custody,” he said.
“The two bomb experts of the group have been killed. We have seized the explosives they had stored for future attacks.”
Wickramaratne, who was named acting police chief last week after President Maithripala Sirisena suspended his predecessor over his failure to act on warnings about the attacks, said public life was slowly returning to normal with the lifting of curfews imposed after the bombings.
The government reopened public schools on Monday, but attendance dropped to below 10 percent in many places with parents still fearing attacks.
“We have strengthened security for all schools,” the police chief said. “We are also conducting a programme to create awareness about safety and security in all schools.”
Wickramaratne did not say how many people were in custody over the bombings, but police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera said on Monday that 73 people, including nine women, were being held.
The bombings were blamed on a local group, the National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ).
But the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) armed group has also claimed responsibility.
Police said religious tensions have eased at Negombo, a town north of Colombo that suffered the highest death toll in the Easter Sunday attacks. A bomb at St Sebastian’s Church in the town killed more than 100 worshippers.
Dozens of Muslim-owned businesses, homes and vehicles in Negombo were damaged in clashes on Sunday night, said an Aljazeera report.
The Roman Catholic Church appealed for calm and urged Christians not to carry out revenge attacks against Muslims.
Police said two arrests were made and more suspects had been identified through CCTV footage.
(UNI)

Hot this week

Agniveer Dies by Alleged Suicide at Nagrota Army Camp

Jammu: A 24-year-old Agniveer allegedly died by suicide after...

“Unconstitutional, bad in law”: Congress MLAs slam DC Kishtwar’s directive on donations

Jammu, Feb 19: Two Congress MLAs on Thursday demanded...

OBC Quota in Local Bodies Envisaged, Govt Informs House

Srinagar:The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Thursday informed the...

1.35 lakh Willows felled at Wular, 19 lakh plants raised: Govt informs House

Srinagar:The government on Thursday informed the House that around...

Four new rail lines proposed for Valley, surveys underway: Govt tells House

Srinagar:The Government on Thursday informed the legeslative assembly that...

Topics

Agniveer Dies by Alleged Suicide at Nagrota Army Camp

Jammu: A 24-year-old Agniveer allegedly died by suicide after...

OBC Quota in Local Bodies Envisaged, Govt Informs House

Srinagar:The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Thursday informed the...

1.35 lakh Willows felled at Wular, 19 lakh plants raised: Govt informs House

Srinagar:The government on Thursday informed the House that around...

Four new rail lines proposed for Valley, surveys underway: Govt tells House

Srinagar:The Government on Thursday informed the legeslative assembly that...

50,000 heroin users among 70,000 addicts in Valley, Govt tells house

Srinagar:The Government on Thursday informed the legeslative assembly that...

J&K’s properties in Delhi, Amritsar, Haryana under unauthorised control

Srinagar: The Jammu & Kashmir Government has revealed that...

Key Downtown Srinagar roads being upgraded, Govt tells house

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Wednesday informed...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img