Sunday, August 23, 2026
19.5 C
Srinagar

Middle East tensions enter a new phase: Iran reports retaliatory action after US strikes, claims to have targeted US bases in Bahrain, Kuwait and Jordan, and announces closure of the Strait of Hormuz

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) has announced a halt to further operations following additional strikes on Iran on Thursday.

According to Iranian news agencies, explosions were reported at Tehran’s Mehrabad Airport, as well as in the cities of Karaj, Abyek and Qazvin.

Meanwhile, Iran says it has launched retaliatory attacks in response to the US strikes, claiming to have targeted 18 sites, including the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet headquarters in Bahrain and a US military base in Kuwait. Tehran has also announced that the Strait of Hormuz has been completely closed.

Oil prices rise after Iran announces closure of Strait of Hormuz

Asian markets reacted sharply on Thursday morning to the latest escalation between the United States and Iran.

Oil prices rose following Iran’s announcement that the key shipping route had been fully closed and reports of possible threats to commercial vessels.

The price of Brent crude, the international benchmark for oil, climbed by nearly 2% in early Asian trading, rising above $95 a barrel.

Kuwait closes its airspace following attacks

Kuwait’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation has announced the temporary closure of the country’s airspace as a precautionary measure in response to what it described as “Iranian aggression”.

In a statement posted on social media, the authority said flights would be diverted to alternative airports in accordance with approved procedures and international agreements.

Kuwait’s Government Communication Centre said the country’s air defence systems had successfully intercepted and destroyed what it described as “aerial targets”.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claim to have targeted US fighter aircraft in Jordan

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) says it used 12 ballistic missiles to target key US military assets at Al-Azraq Air Base and a command centre in Jordan.

According to the IRGC, the targets included advanced US fighter aircraft, including F-35, F-15 and F-16 jets.

The statement said the operation was aimed at US military facilities and operational infrastructure.

CENTCOM has not responded to the latest claims by the Revolutionary Guards. However, it has previously described reports of an attack on a US warship and the complete closure of the Strait of Hormuz as “false”.

Hot this week

Chief Secy reviews progress on CITaG’s Governance, Policy and Development Initiatives

Calls for Dedicated SPV and Digital Portal to ensure...

Lieutenant Governor Addressed the 2nd Edition of ICC’s MSME Conclave 2026

MSMEs are the true builders of India’s economic resilience:...

US-J&K engagement to widen: CM Omar

Says meeting with US envoy focused on bilateral ties,...

23RD FOUNDATION DAY CELEBRATIONS OF SHRI MATA VAISHNO DEVI UNIVERSITY

University not built by its buildings but by ideas,...

US ambassador hints at downgrading travel warning for J&K

Calls J&K an important part of India; says Centre...

Topics

Lieutenant Governor Addressed the 2nd Edition of ICC’s MSME Conclave 2026

MSMEs are the true builders of India’s economic resilience:...

US-J&K engagement to widen: CM Omar

Says meeting with US envoy focused on bilateral ties,...

23RD FOUNDATION DAY CELEBRATIONS OF SHRI MATA VAISHNO DEVI UNIVERSITY

University not built by its buildings but by ideas,...

US ambassador hints at downgrading travel warning for J&K

Calls J&K an important part of India; says Centre...

LG chairs 81st Meeting of J&K Rajya Sainik Board

Discusses key issues concerning veterans, Veer Naris, widows and...

US ambassador Sergio Gor to visit Kashmir tomorrow

Srinagar: United States Ambassador to India, Sergio Gor, will...

Brigadier Chirag Ghura calls on LG Sinha

Srinagar : Brig. Chirag Ghura, Chief Engineer, Project Beacon,...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img