Sunday, August 31, 2025
19.8 C
Srinagar

Coronavirus: Italy’s sports minister says ‘no sense’ for football to continue

Football in Italy should be suspended and currently “makes no sense” for it to continue amid the increased risk of coronavirus, says the country’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora.

Last week, Italy’s government said all sport in the country would be played behind closed doors until 3 April.

But Spadafora supported calls from the president of Italy’s players’ union (AIC) for football to be suspended.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) is to hold a meeting on Tuesday.

On Sunday, up to 16 million people were placed in quarantine in Italy and the country has seen the largest number of coronavirus cases in Europe, with a reported steep rise in infections on Saturday.

The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 36 deaths in 24 hours. The number of confirmed cases jumped by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday.

Latest on coronavirus
Premier League & EFL ditch pre-match fair-play handshakes
Government tells Premier League to ‘step up’ coronavirus planning
Coronavirus sport timeline
Spadafora said in a statement: “It does not make sense at this moment to endanger the health of footballers, referees, technicians and supporters who will surely gather to watch the matches, only to not temporarily suspend football and affect the interests that revolve around it.

“Other federations wisely opted for a stop for the next few days. I believe it is the duty of the president of the FIGC without waiting for the first case of [player] contagion.”

On Saturday, AIC president Damiano Tommasi initially called for a suspension of football saying there is “a risk for players” and “we must take all precautions”.

Parma’s Serie A match against SPAL kicked off 75 minutes late after Spadafora requested the league was suspended with immediate effect.

Four other Serie A matches are due to take place on Sunday, including Juventus against Inter Milan (19:45 GMT), while Sassuolo’s match against Brescia on Monday (17:30 GMT) is also due to go ahead.

In England, sports governing bodies and broadcasters have been called to a government meeting on Monday to discuss the staging of events behind closed doors if the coronavirus outbreak worsens.

Hot this week

Orchard Worker Mauled by Bear, Referred to SKIMS Soura

Kulgam: A man was critically injured after being attacked...

Sakina Itoo Praises Doctors’ Role During J&K Flood Emergency

Srinagar: Health and Medical Education Minister, Sakina Itoo has...

Massive Fire Damages 20 Structures in Gurez’s Tulail Area

Bandipora, Aug 30,: A massive fire broke out in...

Crime Branch conducts raids in MBBS admission scam at six locations in Kashmir

Srinagar, Aug 30 : The Economic Offences Wing (Crime...

Topics

Orchard Worker Mauled by Bear, Referred to SKIMS Soura

Kulgam: A man was critically injured after being attacked...

Sakina Itoo Praises Doctors’ Role During J&K Flood Emergency

Srinagar: Health and Medical Education Minister, Sakina Itoo has...

Massive Fire Damages 20 Structures in Gurez’s Tulail Area

Bandipora, Aug 30,: A massive fire broke out in...

Crime Branch conducts raids in MBBS admission scam at six locations in Kashmir

Srinagar, Aug 30 : The Economic Offences Wing (Crime...

LG Sinha anguished as Reasi, Ramban disasters kill 11 people; assures full support

Jammu, Aug 31: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Saturday...

Ramban cloudburst toll reaches 4; one missing, rescue on

Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh, CM Omar assure help,...

CBK files 2 separate FIRs against 2 notorious fraudsters in land fraud case

Srinagar, Aug 29: Crime Branch Kashmir (CBK) on Friday...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img