Tuesday, February 17, 2026
7.4 C
Srinagar

Supreme Court stays key provisions of Waqf (Amendment) Act

New Delhi, Sep 13,: The Supreme Court has paused several key provisions of the Waqf (Amendment) Act, which had triggered protests across the country, observing that some of them could lead to an “arbitrary” exercise of power. A bench of Chief Justice of India BR Gavai and Justice AG Masih said it found no reason to stay the entire statute but stressed that certain sections required immediate protection.

The court flagged the sweeping powers granted to district Collectors under the amended law, ruling that they cannot be permitted to adjudicate the rights of individual citizens. “This will violate the separation of powers. Till adjudication happens by the tribunal, no third-party rights can be created against any party. The provision dealing with such powers to the Collector shall remain stayed,” the bench said.

The amendment had empowered the District Collector as the final authority in disputes over Waqf property ownership, a move Muslim bodies said would encourage illegitimate claims on Waqf land. The court also stayed the clause that allowed only a person practising Islam for at least five years to declare a Waqf, with the CJI noting that such a provision without clear mechanism could result in arbitrary decisions.

Further, the bench held that not more than three non-Muslim members can be included in a Waqf board, and not more than four in the Central Waqf Council. The order provides interim relief until the petitions challenging the constitutionality of the Act are fully decided.

Amendments to the Waqf Act of 1995, which cleared Parliament earlier this year and received presidential assent in April, had sparked widespread protests. Muslim organisations had called the amendments unconstitutional and alleged a conspiracy to take over Waqf properties, while the government argued that the changes were needed to address encroachment and disputes.

The All India Muslim Personal Law Board, one of the petitioners, welcomed the ruling. Its member Syed Qasim Rasool Ilyas said many of their concerns had been accepted, including issues of “Waqf by User” and protection of monuments. “The five-year clause has been removed, and overall many of our points have been accepted. We think there is satisfaction to a large extent,” he said. [KNT]

Hot this week

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

BJP’s says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

Jammu, Feb 17: BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa on Tuesday...

Over 17.27 lakh kanals of state land encroached in J&K, 14.29 lakh recovered: Govt informs house

Srinagar, Feb 17: The Government on Tuesday informed the...

NIA Conducts Raid in Srinagar’s Uptown

Srinagar, Feb 17,: The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday...

DPR for Sadhna tunnel in Kupwara underway, Govt tells house

Srinagar, Feb 17: The Government of Jammu and Kashmir...

Topics

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

BJP’s says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

Jammu, Feb 17: BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa on Tuesday...

NIA Conducts Raid in Srinagar’s Uptown

Srinagar, Feb 17,: The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday...

DPR for Sadhna tunnel in Kupwara underway, Govt tells house

Srinagar, Feb 17: The Government of Jammu and Kashmir...

Uproarious scenes in Assembly over Randhawa’s remarks

Cong MLAs protest, seek apology from BJP MLA; NC...

Woman Held with Heroin in Vijaypur, 6.40 Grams Chitta Seized

Samba, Feb 17,: Samba Police on Tuesday arrested a...

Convict Flees Courtroom After Sentencing in ₹72 Lakh Cheque Bounce Case

Srinagar:A man convicted in a high value cheque dishonour...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img