Tuesday, February 17, 2026
11.7 C
Srinagar

28 killed, 150 injured in blast at Peshawar Police Lines mosque

Pakistani Media reports that , A blast inside a mosque shook Peshawar’s Police Lines area on Monday, with officials saying that at least 28 people were killed and 150 were injured.

Peshawar Commissioner Riaz Mehsood confirmed the casualties, adding that a rescue operation was underway inside the mosque.

“An emergency has been imposed at hospitals across the city and injured persons are being provided the best medical facilities,” the senior official said.

Meanwhile, Lady Reading Hospital spokesperson Mohammad Asim told Dawn.com that injured persons were still being brought to the medical facility and some of them were in critical condition.

Dawn.com’s correspondent at the blast site said the explosion took place at around 1:40pm as Zuhr prayers were being offered. He said personnel of the police, army and bomb disposal squads were present inside the mosque.

The reporter said a portion of the building had collapsed and several people — especially those standing in the front row during the prayers — were believed to be under it.

Visuals run on television channels showed people gathered around the collapsed wall of the mosque.

The police have also closed roads leading to the Red Zone.

<p>Security officials inspect the site of a mosque blast inside the police headquarters in Peshawar on Jan 30. — AFP</p>

It is still unclear whether a bomb was planted in the mosque or if it was a suicide attack. So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The last major incident of such a nature had taken place in Peshawar last year, when a suicide blast inside a Shia mosque in Kocha Risaldar area claimed 63 lives.

Condemnations

In a statement issued later in the day, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the blast and said that the attackers behind the incident “have nothing to do with Islam”.

“Terrorists want to create fear by targeting those who perform the duty of defending Pakistan,” he said.

The premier paid tribute to the martyrs and promised that their sacrifices will not go in vain. “The entire nation is standing united against the menace of terrorism.”

PM Shehbaz also said that a comprehensive strategy will be adopted to counter the deteriorating law and order situation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the federal government will help provinces in increasing their anti-terrorism capacity.

Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, while condemning the attack, said that “terrorist incidents before the local and general elections were meaningful”.

Hot this week

Over 15,000 human-wildlife conflict cases in 2 years, no major spike: J&K Govt

Jammu, Feb 17: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on...

No Extension of Maternity Leave or Honorarium During Leave Period, Says Health Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday ruled out...

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

Topics

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

BJP’s says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

Jammu, Feb 17: BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa on Tuesday...

NIA Conducts Raid in Srinagar’s Uptown

Srinagar, Feb 17,: The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img