Wednesday, February 18, 2026
7.8 C
Srinagar

Britain, US launch Joint Initiative to Protect Children From Online Harms

Asian Mail

The United States and Britain unveiled a joint working group on Thursday, focused on enhancing online safety measures to protect children from digital harms.

During the launch, US Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo and British science and technology minister Peter Kyle issued a joint statement, urging tech platforms to go further and faster to protect children’s online experiences.

Follow Asian Mail Communications on Whatsapp Join Now

Social media platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat, are confronting escalating critism regarding their influence on children’s mental health, privacy and online safety, prompting this unprecedented US-UK government response.

US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy last year warned that young people using social media risk suffering body image issues, disordered eating, poor sleep quality and low self-esteem, especially among adolescent girls.

According to figures published by the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Young Children (NSPCC), Snapchat accounted for 43 per cent of cases in Britain in which social media was used to distribute indecent images of children.

Meta’s platforms — Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp — were used in 33pc of child abuse crimes on social media, according to the NSPCC research.

Social media companies including Snap and Meta have promised to work with officials to protect young users, and say they have introduced new tools designed to protect teens online, including parental control features.

Lawmakers in both the US and Britain have worked to introduce new restrictions on online platforms in recent years.

In the US, two bills — the Children and Teens’ Online Privacy Protection Act and the Kids Online Safety Act, nicknamed Coppa 2.0 and Kosa — have passed in the Senate, but are awaiting votes in the House of Representatives.

In Britain, the Online Safety Act is due to come into force before the end of 2024. Under the law, social media companies must prevent children from accessing harmful and age-inappropriate content including pornography by enforcing age limits and age-checking measures.

Companies that fail to comply could face fines of up to £18 million ($22.3m) or 10pc of their annual global turnover, under the British legislation.

The digital world has no borders and working with our international partners like the US — one of our closest allies and home to the biggest tech firms — is essential, Kyle said.

(Courtesy Dawn News)

Hot this week

Leopard Attack Leaves 20 Sheep Dead in Central Kashmir’s Beerwah Village

Budgam: At least 20 sheep were killed in a...

Statehood restoration key to people’s satisfaction in J&K: CM Omar Abdullah

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said that...

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Srinagar:Union Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice,...

Justice delayed is justice denied: tele-law can ease pressure on courts, ensure timely justice:CM Omar

Srinagar, Feb 17: Underscoring the critical role of Tele-Law...

Over 15,000 human-wildlife conflict cases in 2 years, no major spike: J&K Govt

Jammu, Feb 17: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on...

Topics

Statehood restoration key to people’s satisfaction in J&K: CM Omar Abdullah

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said that...

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Srinagar:Union Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice,...

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img