Tuesday, February 17, 2026
11.7 C
Srinagar

Luis Suarez thanks fans as he confirms Gremio exit

Rio De Janeiro: Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has confirmed he will leave Gremio at the end of the Brazilian domestic football season amid reports linking him to Inter Miami.

The 36-year-old said it would be difficult to say goodbye after he received the Farroupilha order of merit, the highest honor granted by the legislative assembly of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil’s southernmost state.

“We leave friends. Our children leave friends. I am left with the affection that the people from Gremio and also [local rivals] Internacional gave me,” Suarez said on Tuesday.

Suarez has scored 23 times and provided 16 assists in 50 games across all competitions since joining Gremio from Uruguay’s Nacional in January.

Having gained promotion from Brazilian football’s second tier last year, Gremio are currently fifth in the Serie A standings, four points behind leaders Palmeiras with three matchdays remaining.

Suarez initially signed a two-year deal with the club but will be free to leave in December after renegotiating his contract in July. In recent weeks, Gremio fans have used social media to implore the veteran forward to stay.

“It [fans’ support] confirms we made the right decision to come to this great city and country,” Suarez said. “We knew we were going to enjoy it from the moment we arrived. Thank you very much for the affection. We will see each other soon.”

According to media reports in Uruguay and Argentina, the former Liverpool, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker has agreed to a one-year contract with Inter Miami with an option of another season.

The move would reunite Suarez with Lionel Messi and Sergio Busquets, with whom he played at Barcelona from 2014 to 2020.

Hot this week

Over 15,000 human-wildlife conflict cases in 2 years, no major spike: J&K Govt

Jammu, Feb 17: The Jammu and Kashmir Government on...

No Extension of Maternity Leave or Honorarium During Leave Period, Says Health Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday ruled out...

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

Topics

No Proposal Yet for Tourism Development Authority in Kupwara, Says Minister

Jammu, Feb 17,: The Government on Tuesday clarified that...

Not All Migrants Genuine, Says Dy CM in Assembly

Jammu, Feb 17,: Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Kumar Choudhary...

1.64 lakh youth trained under skill development schemes in J&K: Govt informs house

Jammu, Feb 17: The government on Tuesday informed the...

BJP’s says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

Jammu, Feb 17: BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa on Tuesday...

NIA Conducts Raid in Srinagar’s Uptown

Srinagar, Feb 17,: The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img